Clark County formed 3 Feb 1801
The original Clark County was large and included what is now Harrison, Washington, Jackson, Scott, Jefferson, Jennings, Ripley, Decatur, Franklin, Bartholomew, Shelby, Rush, Fayette, Union, Henry, Randolph, Wayne, and possibly more counties.
Clark County decreased in size as the surrounding counties separated.
• Jefferson County formed 1810
• Washington County formed 1814
• Floyd County formed 8 Feb 1819
• Scott County formed 1820
1820 being the last time the boundary of Clark County changed.
There were originally 3 townships in Clark County. None of these exist today.
• Spring Hill Township – everything east of Springville Township
• Springville Township – area between Silver Creek & Fourteen Mile Creek up to northern boundary of Clark County
• Clarksville Township – west of Silver Creek including what became Floyd & Harrison Counties
Boundaries of the Clark County Townships changed over time as new townships were formed. 1858 was the last time a township was added. There are 12 townships in Clark County, Indiana.
Bethlehem Township – formed spring 1816 (Bethlehem town platted 1812)
Carr Township – formed 1854
Charlestown Township – formed spring 1817
Jeffersonville Township – formed 10 Feb 1817
Monroe Township – formed about 1816, named Collins Township until 1827
Oregon Township – formed 1852
Owen Township – formed 1830
Silver Creek Township – formed Feb 1815
Union Township – formed 1858
Utica Township – formed 7 Nov 1831
Washington Township – formed 1816
Wood Township – formed 1807
For their service in the American Revolution, George Rogers Clark and the soldiers who served with him were allotted 150,000 acres of land in what is now Clark County, Indiana. The grant was made by the Virginia legislature 2 Jan 1781 with land being allotted in 1784. This began the first settlements in Indiana. See a list of the land grant recipients.
1875 Map of Clark County, Indiana
• The Charlestown Library and Sellersburg Library have this map hanging in the meeting rooms.
• Digital image provided by Library of Congress.