Clark County, Indiana Historic School List


Schools in Clark County, Indiana

*87 schools in Clark County around 1858
*102 schools in Clark County in 1909 (Baird’s)
*25 one room schools in Clark County c1932
*46 schools in Clark County in 1935
*6 one room schools in Clark County in 1939 (newspaper article about opening of Carr Township school)

1859 – State public school laws started

The school system in 1909 provided for grade schools including 4 years of high school courses. Minimum term in district schools was 6 months per year. Some were up to 8 month. Town and city schools had a full term of 9 months. There were 2 commissioned high schools in Charlestown and Jeffersonville, 1 certified high school in New Washington, and 6 other high schools in the county that did 2 or more years’ work. Baird’s History of Clark County, Indiana 1909 p397

*The following list was made from various sources at the Charlestown Library. There would certainly be other small schools that are not listed here.

Bethlehem Township

Antioch school (1816 – burned 1839, then rebuilt)
Bethlehem school (various buildings in same place, one built 1862, 1890 2-story brick built; closed 1927) (aka Brick School)
Camp Creek (Boyer place)
Davie place
Flint Ridge School
Otto School
Phillips farm
Ross farm
Selmier School
Stanley Ross farm
Stephens (Stevens) Seminary c1840 (aka Borden Institute or Bethlehem Academy)
Tucker place

*from History of the Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties 1882
-Before the Antioch church (1830s), there was a school near that location. p321
-In 1832 there was a new log school house. The school burned in 1839 or 1840. Soon after another school was built. In 1859 with the new State school laws, school districts were created and a new building was erected. p321
-Bethlehem had a good brick school in 1826 which was 24×30 feet. It was on the outskirts of the village southwest of the new school building. In 1859 with the new school laws, the old school was found to be too small and the new school was built in 1862 which is the school used in 1882. p324-325
-About 1840, Thomas Stephens built an academy on the road leading to New Washington from Bethlehem. It was on the right of the road at the foot of the hill as one comes off the hills to the bottom. It was successful for 10 years. p325
-In 1882, 6 school districts in Bethlehem Township. p321

*from Baird’s History of Clark County, Indiana 1909
-A school was built near where the Antioch Church was later built. A new school house was built in 1832 which later burned about 1840. A new school was built. p93 & p396-397

Carr Township

Bennettsville School
Bridgeport School
Carr Township School or Carr Creek Consolidated School (1939 – closed in the 1970s)
Carwood School (aka Carr)
College Hill School
Crone School
Herbst place
Kelly School
King School
Miller place
Muddy Fork
Pleasant Valley School (Mt. Pleasant)
St. Joseph R.C. School
Warmon School

*History of the Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties 1882
-The first school in Bennettsville was on the road leading to Little York in Washington County. It was still standing in 1882 but used as a house. In 1875 a new school was built and still being used in 1882. It is near the railroad in the southeast corner of Bennettsville. p331
-About 1850, Bridgeport had a log school house on the south side. After the 1859 school laws came into effect, a new school was built. Because of the new school districts the new school was outside the village limits. p332
-In 1882, 6 school districts in Carr Township. p330

Charlestown Township

Barnett Academy (male and female; 1855 created from the Charlestown Seminary)
Bear (Bare or Baird) School (area was Owen Township when school first started)
Beggs farm
Bethany School
Blooming Grove School
Bower School
Brenton farm
Bull Creek School
Cable School
Carr farm
Carver Hill School (Charlestown Colored) – was located on Main Street in Charlestown; grades 1-8; closed in 1951 when integration laws took effect
Charlestown – all grades – was in the old Court House building 1878-1917 on the square, torn down and new building built (known as Jonathan Jennings) on same site was used 1918-1953 and torn down 1966. In 1948 the building was condemned and the school was held in the 703 Administration building at IOW Plant and was called Arsenal School which taught 5th-12th grades. Pleasant Ridge Elementary was buit in 1941.
Charlestown Jr Sr High School – built in summer 1953, Jr High moved out of this building in 1970s
Charlestown High School – many remodels to existing building
Charlestown Middle School – built in the 1978 on High Jackson St, temporary Jr High was held in an INAAP building while the new school was being built
Charlestown Landing School
Charlestown Seminary (Clark County Seminary and became Barnett Academy)
Crab College – an elementary school that was located at the corner of Stoney Point Rd and CR 403; closed 1943
Dark Corner School
Faris School (closed 1936)
Farren farm
Giltner School (aka Fort Hayes School or Haymaker) (closed 1943) (area was Owen Township when school first started)
Goodwin School (closed 1937)
Green farm
Gum Corner School
Halcyon Hill School
Harrod farm school
Henryville Road School
Hester farm (1803 & 1804)
Jonathan Jennings – all grades see Charlestown
Jonathan Jennings Elementary
Kiger School
Lexington Road School
McKee Academy (1867)
Memphis & Salem Road
Mill Creek School
Normal School (1880-1881 teachers school)
Old Seventy-Four School
Otisco School (closed 1943)
Owen farm
Pleasant Ridge Elementary (1st one built 1941 on Clark Rd next to present day Jonathan Jennings School, 2nd one is next to Charlestown High School)
Pollock farm
Possum Trot (History of the Ohio Falls Counties has it in Owen Township)
St. Michael (Catholic)
Stricker School
Sunny Grove School
Tucker School
Weaver farm
Webster School
Whitlock place
Workingman Institute (1858-59)

*from History of the Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties 1882
-Probably the first school in the area of Charlestown was in 1803 & 1804 which was 1.5 miles south of the old Hester farm which was owned by Mr. Johnson in 1882. p346
-An early school was on the hill in the western half of town on what became the old burying ground, then Mr. Ferrier’s yard, near the grave of ex-Governor Jennings. Soon after there was a brick building 20×35 feet to replace the log building. p347
-The Charlestown Seminary was in the old Masonic Lodge building and opened as early as 1830 in Charlestown. It was a place for higher learning. In 1849 Rev. H.H. Cambern purchased the seminary. He changed it to a female seminary for 15 to 20 years. Zebulon B. Sturgus gained possession of it. It became Barnett Academy for both boys and girls. p347
-In 1855 Zebulon Sturgus lost his teaching position at Barnett Academy and decided to open his own school in the northern part of Charlestown. This school didn’t exist in 1882. p347
-In 1882, the Charlestown school was in the old Court House building on the square. There was a separate colored school. p347
-A handsome school building stands in the eastern part of Otisco. p354
-In 1882, 14 public schools in the township with 1 being a colored school. p347

*from Baird’s History of Clark County, Indiana 1909
-Charlestown boys’ school was on upper Thompson street in 1859. p103
-Barnett Academy is mentioned. p259
-In 1803 a school was opened on the old Hester farm near Charlestown which was taught by Mr. Epsy. p395
-The first institution of higher learning in Clark County was in 1830 when Charlestown Seminary opened by D. Baker in the old Masonic Hall. The school was bought in 1849 by Rev. H.H. Cambern and was changed to a female seminary. It was run by Rev. George J. Reed for 15 to 20 years when it’s control went to Prof. Zebulon B. Stergus about 1859 who changed the name to Barnett’s Academy. p86, p103, p396
-commissioned high school in Charlestown in 1909 p397

Jeffersonville Township

Asbury School
Chestnut Street (1869)
Clark University (1849)
Clarksville Jr. Sr. High (1955)
Claysburg School
Claysburg Colored School
Colgate School
Eastlawn School
Engine House School
Ewing Lane
Female Seminary (1845-46)
Fulton Grove School
George Rogers Clark School
Godfrey Building (1840s boys private school)
Green Acres School
Indiana Vocational Technical College aka Ivy Tech (1969)
Indiana University Southeast (1941-1973)
Ingramville
Jeffersonville Hotel (1842 girls private school)
Jeffersonville Industrial and Literary Institute (1874)
Jeffersonville Primary & Classical School (1841-42, 1844)
Jeffersonville School (High school 1882)
Jeffersonville Seminary (Hibben Seminary) (1850)
Maple Street (1852-1904, torn down 1907)
McBride
McCullock’s School
Meadow Lane School
Middle Road
Midway School
Mulberry Street (1852-1904)
New Market(1866)
Parkview Jr High School
Plank Road School
Port Fulton School
Providence High School (1951 Catholic)
Rose Hill (1874)
Roosevelt School
Spring Hill (1904)
St. Aloysius (Catholic 1880-87)
St. Anthony (Catholic 1851)
St. Augustine (Catholic 1869-1969)
Sacred Heart (Catholic 1950s)
Wall Street
Workingman Institute (1865-66)
WW Wilson School

*from History of the Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties 1882
-About 1840, there was a private girl’s school at the Jeffersonville Hotel which was near the O&M Railroad depot in Jeffersonville. p443
-After 1840, there was a school for boys established on Maple between Spring and Wall Streets in Jeffersonville. p443
-In 1852, the public school system was established in Jeffersonville Township. The first school building was built that year at the corner of Maple and Watt Streets in Jeffersonville. The building was still there in 1882 and used as a colored school.
-In 1869-1870, the school on Chestnut Street in Jeffersonville was built and opened. It was used as the Chestnut Street graded school and the Jeffersonville High School. It is still used in 1882. p443
-In 1866, Jeffersonville built the New Market school building on Court Avenue and in 1867, when separate colored schools were established, this building was relegated to that use. p443
-In 1874, the Rose Hill school was built in Jeffersonville.
-Up to 1874, a separate female high school was maintained in Jeffersonville. p443
-Mulberry Street School and Engine House School are in Jeffersonville in 1882. p443
-St. Anthony’s northeast corner of Locust and Chestnut Streets in Jeffersonville. St. Augustine Catholic in Jeffersonville. 2 churches split from one. The text is confusing about which church was built in 1868 where a boys school was started and soon after a girls school was started. There was then a school built on a lot opposite the church. It reads like both churches have schools open in 1882. p447
-Ohio Falls school house in Jeffersonville was where the Independent Order of Foresters met. p450

*from Baird’s History of Clark County, Indiana 1909
-Rose Hill school occupied one part of Central Park on Broadway in Jeffersonville. p91
-There was a small school in the old unused clerk’s office in Jeffersonville in the 1830s. p95
-Mr. Hibben established a seminary on the north side of Market Street in Jeffersonville, just below Pearl Street about 1850. The Jeffersonville Seminary was a high class institution. It lasted into the 1850s. p103
-Work began on the school house in Howard Park in October 1899. p128
-The original public schools of Jeffersonville consisted of 2 buildings built in about 1850 to 1852. The Mulberry Street school which was about opposite the end of Chestnut Street was a 2 story brick was torn down in 1904. (He refers to this as Mulberry Street school and then Chestnut Street School.) p109, p133, p397
-Blue School house was the other school at the northwest corner of Maple and Watt Streets was the same design as Mulberry Street School. It was torn down in 1907. p109, p133, p397
-In 1852 the Methodist church purchased some property in Jeffersonville. They considered places of sin. Some were converted to a girl’s seminary school. It lasted a few years. p109-110
-Two school houses, one for boys and the other for girls, were built on the lot with St. Anthony Church. The schools were flourishing in 1909. p272
-The oldest school in Jeffersonville still being used in 1909 was built in 1870. It was built as a grade school and high school and was the first high school in Jeffersonville. Boys and girls had separate high schools for 4 years starting in 1870. p397
-In 1874 the Rose Hill school was built in Jeffersonville. The high school building that existed in 1909 was built in 1882 which was used partly as a grade school for several years. p120, p397
-In 1904 the Spring Hill building was opened in Jeffersonville. p133, p397
-There was a commissioned high school in Jeffersonville in 1909. p397

Monroe Township

Becket School (Miniscke farm)
Blue Lick School
Carroll farm
Clegg School (closed 1957)
Dayton
Forest Grove
Henryville Seminary (1880-1911)
Henryville Graded School
Henryville High School (1902, 1910 new building, 1970 new building)
Maple Grove
McClure farm
Monroe Township
Oakland
Puckett farm
Richards farm
Ryan farm
St. Clair farm
Stuttman farm
Taylor farm
Underwood Graded School (last 1 room school in Clark County)
Walnut Grove

*from History of the Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties 1882
-Daniel Guernsey was first school teacher in the western part of the township. p365
-In 1882, 11 school districts in the township. p365
-There was a school house at the Little Union burying ground in Henryville in 1882. p367
-The first school house was erected after Henryville was laid out in 1850. It was in the north corner of Henryville, was a frame building, had two rooms. p368
-In 1882, the present house was put up 10 or 12 years ago. It is a 2 room frame and 35×20. p368

*from Baird’s History of Clark County, Indiana 1909
-Little Union school house built in 1830 and located 1.5 miles northwest of Henryville. The building was used my various churches. It was on the ground where the Little Union graveyard is. p251-252
-Forest Grove school house was about 5 miles southwest of Henryville. Used by Willey’s Chapel Methodist Episcopal class in 1885. p252

Oregon Township

Amick farm
Bohart (closed 1937)
Bower
Brenton near Dry Run (1882 mentioned in History of the Ohio Falls Counties)
Carr farm (closed 1935)
Clapp
Cochran farm
Maple Grove
Marysville School (rebuilt 1937; closed 1969)
McClure School
New Market (closed 1937)
Oregon School
Phillippi
Polk Run (closed 1937)
Pollard farm
States School
Stony Point School (closed 1936)
Traffinger farm
Watson farm
Zollman School

*from History of the Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties 1882
-In 1882, among the first school houses in Oregon Township was on Poke run about 1 mile from New Market from 1836 to 1860. p371
-In 1882, Marysville had a good public school built in 1872 which is 3/4 mile west of town and is known as Parks district.
-First school in Marysville was built 1848 1 mile due west. It was torn down and a log building was erected in 1852 1.25 miles west of the old site which burned in 1863. p374

Owen Township

Adams School
Baird or Bare or Bear (area later became Charlestown Township)
Beech Grove School
Bull Creek (Graebe)
Fairview
Giltner (area later became Charlestown Township)
Golden Valley School
Hibernia School
Long farm
Owen Township School
Ridge School
Shiloh School
Solon School
Taggart farm
Vaught School (later became Fairview)

*from History of the Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties 1882
-A district school at Possum Trot on a tract of land laying between Bull Creek and Ohio River. Possum Trot was a school district. p377
-Oldest school in Owen township stood on the Bethlehem and Bull Creek Road. Gone half a century before 1882. p379
-Shiloh c1825-26 p379
-Larkin Vaught’s district is situated in the southeastern part of township and is well attended in 1882. p379
-1882 there are 5 school districts. p379
-Hibernia first school house stood pretty nearly where Sommers’ store but back from the road 2 or 3 rods and was used until 1865 when a frame building was built. p381

Silver Creek Township

Belknap School (closed 1919)
Cementville
Cunningham Settlement School
Hamburg (closed 1932)
Greenwood (closed 1919)
Mitchell farm
Oklahoma Grade School (close 1920)
Sellersburg (first school built 1835, then moved into town)
Sellersburg Graded School
Silver Creek Elementary
Silver Creek High School (1925)
Slider (1801)
Speed School
Smith farm
St. Paul Catholic
Stout Elementary School
Wells School (Camp Run)

*from History of the Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties 1882
-Richard Slider school on his farm on bank of Elk run as early as 1801 and existed for several years, 6-8 weeks a year. p387
-Mr. Well’s school on Camp run was after Slider school but still an early school, 1/4 mile above where JM&I railroad crossed the creek. p387
-Cunningham Settlement school was 1/4 mile above Hamburg on State road leading from Jeffersonville to Terre Haute, was an early school built around same time as Well’s school. p387
-John A. Smith school was formed after the State school law took effect and districts were set up. p387
-St. Joseph Hill Church had a school house. p390
-Lot 4 in Hamburg was for school purposes in 1837. First a frame house was erected near the Christian Church. It was moved and used as a dwelling. A new frame house put in 1870 having 1 room. p391
-In Hamburg, the old Greenwood school house was erected about 1832 by Mr. Wright. As of 1882, the original building is gone but another one was built not far distance takes its place. p391-2
-There were schools scattered throughout the township before the State school laws took effect. p392
-First school in the neighborhood of Sellersburg was built in 1835 on Utica & Salem road 1/2 mile west of town. School closed after a school opened in Sellersburg. p393
-In 1882, Sellersburg school was on New Albany St and has 2 rooms. p393
-In 1882, 6 school in Silver Creek Township.

*from Baird’s History of Clark County, Indiana 1909
-St. Joseph’s Hill Church had a school which was still open in 1909. p273-374
-As early as 1801 a school was kept in Silver Creek township by Richard Slider. Opened for 6 to 8 weeks a year, it was around for several years. p395

Union Township

Coombs
Fairview
Girt School
Hawes farm
Kahl
Memphis Grade School
Memphis Colored School
Pennsylvania
Sagabiel farm
Spangler farm (1811)
Sylvan Grove
Union
Websterian school (1825-1860)

*from History of the Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties 1882
-Union Township was formed in 1858 from parts of all the surrounding townships. p503 Previous to that time the schools of Union Township were previously in other townships.
-In 1825 a hewed log school house stood one mile southeast of Memphis on the Charlestown Road. In 1858 or 1860 the house was sold. The law creating school districts in 1859 changed the location of the Websterian school. It is now know as District 1 of Union. p507
-Pennsylvania District 2 was possibly built about 1827. The original building was a log house and the one in 1882 was a frame house. The next school by age was Fairview school is District 5 and then District 6 and followed by Plainview District 3. Memphis is District 7. p507
-Before Memphis was laid out an old school house stood south of the train station on Main Street. Sometime after 1852 when Memphis was platted the school was abandoned and the new school was built (still in use in 1882). In 1882 there was a colored school and a graded school in Memphis. The graded school was built in 1870. p508

*from Baird’s History of Clark County, Indiana 1909
-In 1870 the Memphis Methodist Episcopal church was using the school house. p253

Utica Township

Burtt (c1830)
Charlestown-Utica Pike school (1820)
Coombs place
Franklin School
Fry School
Jennie Lind
Lane School
Lutz farm
Northhaven (1969)
Prather School (closed 1969)
Spangler farm (1811)
Stacy farm
Swartz farm
Utica Graded School (rebuilt 1937)
Utica Consolidated School
Utica Township Schools
Washington School
Watson School
Watson Colored School

*from History of the Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties 1882
-Franklin school house on Utica & Salem road. p399
-In 1811, a log school house was erected. p401
-About 1860, a school on Charlestown and Utica turnpike.
-In 1830s, a school built on E.B. Burtt place. It lasted 15 or 20 years.
-In 1819, Utica had a school house built at the head of Fourth St. It was used for 6-7 years and another built opposite the Black Horse tavern. p407
-In 1826 in Utica on the public square, a brick house was built to serve as a church and school and was used for at least 20 years. About 1845 it was torn down and another built. p407
-In Utica, a “new school building erected about 8 years ago,” which would be about 1874, had 4 room and 2 stories. p407
-Watson has 2 school, one white and one colored in 1882. The white school was on Charlestown and Jeffersonville Rd. It was brick and built in 1875. p409

*from Baird’s History of Clark County, Indiana 1909
-In 1873, a new school was to be built in Utica. p118
-In 1811 in Utica township there was a rude log school house on the James Spangler farm. p396
-As far back as 1820 a dwelling was converted into a school house on the Charlestown and Utica pike road. It was near where the house of Peter H. Bottorff was built. p396
-A school after the Charlestown and Utica Pike one was one on E.B. Burtt’s place sometime in the 1830s. p396

Washington Township

Bohart School (closed c1936)
Bottorff farm
Bower
Bradley School
Britain School
Brush College
Cross Road School
Gray farm
Hooker School
Huber School
Montgomery School
Nabb School
New Washington Academy (1840-1850)
New Washington Seminary (1850 changed to public run)
New Washington Elementary
New Washington High School (1918, burned in 1935, new school built 1936-37)
New Washington Graded School
Noble School
Noe School
Robison School
Select School for Young Ladies (1860)
Stallsworth farm
Walker School
Washington School
Waters farm
Webber farm
Woobie (Woobes)

*from History of the Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties 1882
-A school house in New Washington was used as a church. p416
-Near old walker burying ground near Martin Adams place. p417
-In 1882, a district school at cross roads of Charlestown and Westport roads in the northwest corner of the community. p417
-In 1882, there are 9 school districts in Washington township.
-The first school house was built of logs. When New Washington was laid out, it had a public square where a seminary was built of brick. After about 10 years of use as a seminary the building was taken by the public school authorities. Since 1840 it was a public school and as of 1882 is was still used. p419

*from Baird’s History of Clark County, Indiana 1909
-New Washington Presbyterian Church had a school in the upper rooms. It was used for a number of years until the public schools were started when it was sold to the township and for many years used by it for school purposes. The high school building was built on the same site. p264-265
-A certified high school in New Washington in 1909. p397

Wood Township

Borden Institute (1884-1907)
Borden Graded School (burned in 1953, new building 1954)
Borden High School (1906-1954 in Borden Institute building; 1955 new building)
Clegg
Dow farm
Goss School
McKinley farm
New Providence School (Borden)
Packwood School
Pleasant Ridge School (closed 1943)
Porter (closed 1951)
Pull Tight farm
Rose Hill
Schleicher (closed 1941)
St. John School (closed 1971)
Whitson farm
Wood school (began 1811, 1st building 1818; 2nd building 1829; 3rd building 1868)
Wood Township High School (1903-1905 then became Borden High School)

*from History of the Ohio Falls Cities and Their Counties 1882
-Moses Wood taught the first school in 1811 in Wood Township.
-In 1829, a hewed log school house was built in the public square in New Providence (Borden) and used until 1868. It was a school and meeting house. p426

*from Baird’s History of Clark County, Indiana 1909
-In 1827 the second school house was built in Wood Township in the town of New Providence. p86
-Wood Township had one of the early schools in the county which began prior to 1825. p396
-Borden Institute was the second institution of higher learning in Clark County. It was founded in 1884 by Prof. William W. Borden. It was located in Borden and was successful for 20 years. p126, p397